Elizabeth and I decided it would be fun to make an edible Rice Krispy ballet shoe for her ballet teacher as an end of year present. What a fun project! She was thrilled to present the shoe to her teacher.
- Rice Krispies
- fondant (assorted colors)
- chocolate melts
- parchment or waxed paper
- a clean diamond nail file
- fondant rolling pin
- decorative tools (if you have them)
- Make the Rice Krispy Treats After you have made the treat mixture, allow to cool until the mixture won’t burn your hands. Use your model(s) and form all your shapes. It helps to coat your hands with vegetable oil to avoid sticking. Work quickly and use waxed paper for support if you need something to stand up. Allow to cool. Use your freezer or fridge to speed up cooling.
- Prepare your Candy Melts. Melt the candy melts and spread your shape with the melted mixture. Place in fridge or freezer until cool.
- Prepare surface for rolling. Use your file to file down the edges. You want a nice flat surface for covering.
- Roll the fondant. Color the fondant a baby pink color and then roll out fondant to about 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cover in Fondant. Cover your shoe, wrapping to fully cover the bottom.
- Embellish. Begin your embellishments, creating the top of the shoe (I used a tan color to contrast a bit with the shoe), and create the soles of the shoe. You can use your model to see where to place these and what embellishments are needed.
- Add final decorative accents. Roll out a long thin rope of fondant and edge the tan fondant with it. Use an embellishing tool or knife to flatten it down and make it look decorative. Make a fun ribbon rose for the front to finish off the shoe.
Presto! … you have a ballet shoe!