Baby Einstein

My one year-old nephew has 2 toys that he loves: a giraffe and his Baby Einstein Take Along Tunes toy. When my sister-in-law called to ask me to make his first birthday cake, I knew I should make his favorite toy on top of the cake. While totally feasible, making the toy out of cake isn’t nearly as fun a my favorite way: rice krispy treats!

If you like to make fun cakes for your friends, family, or customers, you’ll love being able to wow them with this fairly easy (and definitely fun) way to make sculpted additions to your cakes.

I’ll walk you through how to make the Baby Einstein toy. Then, you may use this method to make anything you think of! Have fun.

1. First, make the rice krispy treats. I make just enough to sculpt what I need. Mix up the cereal, marshmallows and butter and you are ready to create your base shape(s).
  2. Shape and let cool! I wait several hours, or you can put the in the fridge to firm up.
  3. Cover with fondant. Unless your base shape is very smooth, you’ll find it useful to cover with 2 coats.
  4. (shown in photos 4-6) Begin your decorating. Make sure you have a roulepat mat, all the colors you need, cutters, and a nice rolling pin. I used a picture my sister-in-law sent and started to place all the parts.
  5. To make the handle, use wire and thread the balls of fondant onto the wire. I used memory wire to get the nice curved look.
  6. Affix all the little extras to your handle and place the handle in the rice krispy treat toy. *When you place this toy on top of your cake, use dowels or straws as support.
This entry was posted in Fondant, Fun Things, How To, Sculpting and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Baby Einstein

1. by Kate @ Diethood.com on January 23, 2011, 9:22 pm

Oh goodness, this is great! My daughter would be head over heels if she saw this cake! Thank you for sharing!

• by Amy Dawson on January 24, 2011, 6:30 am

Thanks Kate. I’m glad you like it. You can make any figure you like with this method, just have a bunch of colors ready and some patience.

2. by Eftychia on January 24, 2011, 2:29 am

Very beautifull and it looks extremely easy as well. Thank you for sharing.

• by Amy Dawson on January 24, 2011, 6:32 am

It is really a nice alternative to using cake for sculptures – nice especially that you don’t have to make a totally separate cake to carve up and sculpt. It still takes awhile though, making this Baby Einstein figure took me 2 hours, but it is fun and the results are worth it.

3. by Sandra on January 24, 2011, 7:56 am

This is gorgeous and adorable!!! I love it!!

• by Amy Dawson on January 27, 2011, 5:56 am

Thanks for your comment Sandra. I’m glad you like it.

4. by Mateja on January 24, 2011, 10:58 am

Isn’t baking for family the most satisfying task? Your nephew is a lucky little guy to have the aunty like you! Thank you for sharing ^_^

5. by Rich on January 26, 2011, 7:10 am

Oh wow, that is a great idea! And it looks great, too. Geez, I’ve got a lot to learn about baking.

6. by Cakewhiz on January 26, 2011, 10:35 pm

Your nephew looks so happy with that cake. You did an awesome job! :)

7. by Amy Dawson on January 27, 2011, 5:56 am

Thanks everyone for al your nice comments! I really appreciate them and am so glad you like my nephew’s cake.

8. by Mateja on February 2, 2011, 6:23 am

You have an award waiting for you: http://bit.ly/fE7iqT
    Mateja @Indulging Life

9. by Cakewhiz on February 2, 2011, 3:03 pm

I really like your blog. So, I am passing my stylish blogger award to you. You can check out the details here: http://www.cakewhiz.com/CakeWhiz/post/Awards.aspx